Saturday 10 November 2012

Spey Lodge Inc Expands Operations to Haida Gwaii, Queen Charlotte Islands


Spey Lodge Inc has just completed the purchase  of Norm Desilet's Classified Rod Day package that includes many of the Steelhead Streams of Haida Gwaii. This development has been in the works for many years now. Norm Desilets was one of the first two angling guides on Haida Gwaii dating back before the original classification of the rivers in 1990. Norm and I have worked together since 2006 offering Steelhead fishing in the winter months, to a limited number of my guests. Norm's comprehensive knowledge of Haida Gwaii, it's rivers and Steelhead is impressive and unmatched by anyone. Norm and I have made arrangements that will have him continuing to guide on Haida Gwaii, via Spey Lodge Inc, for many years to come.



Haida Gwaii Steelhead fishing is nothing short of spectacular! From Small streams appropriately suited for a single hand/or switch rods, to bigger deep and dark rivers demanding a strong 12-14 foot spey rod, Haida Gwaii has it all. The fishing is not easy, good steelhead fishing never is, but the rewards are high, and the fish are as hard fighting as any Steelhead I've seen anywhere.

I recently have began using a contour video camera, which mounts on your hat, to your boat I even have a mount on the net handle. Needless to say I'm not a great videographer, not yet anyways. Below is a few videos from last week on Haida Gwaii, just click on the play arrow. 












Accommodations for my guests on Haida Gwaii will be provided by a very comfortable Bed & Breakfast in Port Clements. Lorette & Don Smillie own and operate Smillie's Bed & Breakfast http://www.gosmillie.com/default.html . I had the pleasure of staying at their place this past week and I can tell you they run a very good operation. I look forward to my guests enjoying their hospitality starting this December.

Below is a couple pictures of their ocean side B&B




Getting to Haida Gwaii

Air Canada flies direct from Vancouver international airport YVR to Sandspit airport everyday. Pacific Coastal airlines flies six days a week into Masset. Float planes fly most days from Prince Rupert to Masset, and the ferry does the Prince Rupert to Skidagate route 3-4 times a week. Most of my guests will take advantage of the Pacific Coastal flights into Masset.

I have a pretty good video of a Steelhead from last week on Haida Gwaii, but unfortunately it appears to be to large of a file for this blog. If you follow this link you can view the video http://contour.com/stories/file4124


The limited number of 2012 dates I had available are sold out, but I have a few limited spaces available for Haida Gwaii Steelhead trips in 2013.

February 23-March 02....... 2 rods
March 02-09...................1 rod
March 09-16..................2 rods


Best for now,

Walter Faetz
www.speylodge.com




No comments: