I’m pleased to announce that the winter of 2013 is poised to have a positive effect on the spring and summer fishing in the Skeena/Nass watersheds, if the current trend continues. The winter has been very pleasant, not at all like last year’s near record high snow levels and constant storms. The low to normal snow levels will produce an adequate run off this spring while allowing fishing to proceed on schedule.
Another bright spot for the 2013 fishing season is the potential for a low Sockeye return to the Skeena. The Department Of Fisheries and Oceans is already predicting a very low Sockeye return, which is bad news for the commercial fleet as they’ll likely stay tied to the dock this summer. This is of course very good news for migrating Steelhead and the anxious fly fishers upstream. No nets translates into an uninterrupted swim up the rivers. DFO will assess the Sockeye situation in late June and will decide on commercial openings at that time, fingers crossed.
In just five short weeks the 2013 season begins with a four week spring Steelhead program on Haida Gwaii, followed closely by the spring season @ Spey Lodge and the outpost camp down the channel. I’m excited about the many returning guests joining us in 2013 and a bunch of new faces as well. 2013 is 90% sold out with just a few available spaces remaining.
Prime dates still available for 2013.
· Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) March 03 -10, one space
· Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) March 11-16, one space due to a very recent rescheduling
· Spey Lodge April 21-27, two spaces
· Spey Lodge May 05-11, two spaces
Summer Chinook (King) Salmon
· Spey Lodge June 23-29, two spaces
· Spey Lodge July 07-13, one space
· Spey Lodge August 04-10 two spaces
· Boundary Lodge September 22-28, three spaces
· Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) November 17-23, two spaces
· Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) November 24-30, two spaces
If you would like more information on any of the dates above feel free to contact me by e-mail, or call as I will be in the office this coming week.
|Olivia in the Kitlope 2012|
Spey Lodge Inc